OKRs are inherently data-driven, and OKR champions and executives need access to the latest business insights to make effective strategic and operational decisions. This can become challenging when different teams have siloed data, making it difficult to see how “aligned” your OKRs are across different teams.
After chatting with our customers, we received feedback that leaders are looking for other ways to understand what is really going on in their organizations and are wanting to paint a better picture beyond the data they see in the app. Understanding our Enterprise customers’ reporting needs as they scale, we wanted to provide a solution to answer questions like:
- How many Key Results within my organization are marked as on track, having issues, or at risk?
- Separate from confidence ratings, how are specific teams’ Key Result metrics progressing?
- Are specific functions within the organization less confident or productive in their work than others?
- How do teams’ confidence ratings correlate to Key Result metric progress?
- Which teams are excelling and which teams are struggling according to their metric progress?
- Which teams are completing their weekly Reflections, and who needs encouragement to do so?
- Which teams are regularly updating their goals in Koan and which goals have data that is out of date?
- When were Key Results last updated?
- Which individuals are active in Koan?
We’re excited to announce a new beta feature for Enterprise customers to easily view and export OKR data insights that answer the questions above, allowing leaders to see progress at scale across the entire organization. With Koan’s Enterprise Reports, you can access invaluable organizational data insights, from team confidence and metric progress data to individual Reflection engagement, so you don’t have to wade through a sea of different functions, projects, and teams.
With Koan’s Enterprise reporting capabilities, you can combine the power of in-app confidence scores, Key Result metrics, and Reflection information to take things to the next level.
What is included in Enterprise Reporting
As you dive into the reports, you can uncover organizational and team trends around goal confidence, goal metric progress, and user engagement. Here are some of the high-level insights that we pull from your OKRs:
- Goal Confidence: we gather the confidence ratings for all Key Results company-wide and present them in a pie chart, displaying how many goals are on track, have issues, or at risk.
- Goal Confidence by Team: we isolate Key Results belonging to each team and report on how many of each team’s goals are on track, have issues, or at risk.
- Metric Progress by Team: we calculate all Key Result metric changes to gather an average metric progress percentage for each team.
- Metrics Last Updated: we track when goals were last updated and summarize how recently your organization’s Key Result metrics were updated, noting the percentage of goals that were updated in the past two weeks, the past month, or earlier in the quarter.
Healthy Key Results:
- Percentage of Healthy Key Results: we review and flag any of your Key Results that are missing variables essential for success, such as a due date, assigned lead, or a starting or target metric. We then summarize the percent of Key Results organization-wide that are set up for success and that have room to improve.
- Healthy Key Results by Team: we review and note Key Results by team that are set up for success, and also flag the Key Results that need to be updated to include additional information.
- Average Reflections Completed Over Time: we look at each team’s average Reflection completion over the past five weeks, and present this data in a graph to summarize which teams are most engaged with Reflections, and which teams may need additional encouragement.
Key Result Metric Progress
As your organization tracks progress in Koan, you rely on two separate data points to provide a well-rounded view of goal progress, a qualitative confidence rating and a quantitative Key Result metric. Koan’s Enterprise reporting does not only provide high-level insights on confidence ratings across the organization and teams, but it also takes metric progress insights to the next level by summarizing goal achievement at the team and organizational level. We compile the following Metric Progress insights for you:
- Goal Progress by Team: we calculate an average Key Result metric progress percentage for each team to summarize overall goal achievement by team. We also display this average progress percentage directly next to the team’s average confidence rating to allow for direct comparison of how team’s confidence ratings coincide with goal achievement.
- Goal Details: we provide you with the data to delve deeper into all team goals, listing each goal’s starting, current, and target metric, as well as noting when the goal was most recently updated and by whom. This flags goals that may have missing or outdated data, giving leaders the information they need to identify goals that may have unreliable data and to encourage the engagement of specific teams.
User Activity & Reflection Engagement
As most of you know, Reflections are where the magic happens in Koan, and the power of Reflections relies on the engagement of all team members. Reflections gather anecdotal information weekly from everyone on your team to gauge progress on goals. With Enterprise reporting, we calculate the following user activity and Reflection insights for you:
- User Activity: in order to make the most out of Reflections, first you need to ensure that all of your employees are actively logging into Koan. For this reason, we compile a list of all Koan users and their activity. We list each Koan user and note whether or not they have logged in within the past 30 days, as well as the date that they last completed an action in Koan.
- Reflection Summary: we review Reflection engagement by team over time and show you each team’s average Reflection completion for each week in the past month, as well as calculate a grand total average compiling the past five weeks.
- Reflection Details: we delve deeper into Reflection trends by reporting on Reflection completion not only by team, but also by individual team members, helping to give managers the data they need to motivate their teams to be more engaged.
The Benefits of Enterprise Reporting
You’ve set your goals, built a positive habit across your team, rolled it out to your entire organization. You’ve flexed your OKR muscles and achieved great results, but now you can achieve more. Now is the time to leverage this data Koan has collected to uncover insights and make more informed decisions. Below are the main values that you will get out of our Enterprise reports.
- Get Deeper insights: Through newfound insights on user engagement, Reflection completion, and metric progress, your organization can now reach a new level of detail when reporting on your OKRs at the team and organization level.
- Support your OKR Champions: These reports provide your OKR champion(s) with a birds-eye view of how the OKR program is tracking throughout your organization. With Enterprise reporting, you can enable your OKR champion to report on progress and optimize the program across the company.
- Develop a different OKR perspective: Sometimes it takes a new dashboard or view to uncover trends or key information. By visualizing all of your OKR data from Koan in a new light with company-wide and team insights, our reports allow you to see broader trends related to goals, and then give you the opportunity to customize that data in different ways by making a copy of the report.
- Help with OKR Cycle planning: Koan’s enterprise quarterly reports provide a summary of team and organizational achievement for a specific planning cycle. This can help teams evaluate if you’re setting the right goals, repeating goals over quarters, and uncover additional long-term learnings to inform future strategy.
- Combine reports with different sources: combine Koan’s Enterprise Reporting with other enterprise reports to establish multiple sources of information in one place, ultimately helping you find one single source of truth.
- Team engagement: With team-specific insights, you can gain a broad understanding about which teams and team members are engaged and which aren’t. This data can help inform what conversations you want to have with your team.
- Historical curation: As you continue to track your OKRs over time, you’ll gain the visual clarity management needs to understand performance and progress against goals, and receive quarterly reports to understand long-term trends.
We hope our new Enterprise Reporting beta feature adds even more value beyond the app, taking your OKRs to the next level and helping you strengthen transparency and accountability through flexible reporting and data-driven insights. Here is an example of the weekly reports and the quarterly reports, so you can get a sense of what they would look like for your teams.
In true startup fashion, this feature is currently in beta and we are still working to improve this offering. If you have any questions or feedback, please email email@example.com.
Please note: this feature is only available to our Enterprise customers. If you’d like to learn more about the different features across our Free, Pro and Enterprise tiers, visit our pricing page.